Hey there fellow artists, here are 7 good reasons why we still are in business. However, I would advice just have an alternative line of activity for you to make a living out of too because an art, animation career is all about ups and downs even if you work for someone it is dependent upon a third layer of a luxury item.
If promotion of your services is a necessity (the first level), advertising is only a want (the second level) and art and animation (is only the third level) and in tough economic times lets face it, even for me as a creator it is a luxury :o/
But these 7 points could brighten up the dark scene that we think impends us:
- The other day I noticed my friends whatsapp profile page, looked great at first glance, when I looked at it closer I saw that it was a sketch but realized my friend looked 10 years older than she actually was in that sketch. After a momentary shock I sighed in relief because I realized wow technology managed to mess up her looks. So don’t tell me technology can replace the artist’s talent? Technology can replace an engine designer/someone who has no money to replace a car engine if it conks. Technology with a lot of money could do that. But a real talent still has work to do baby and still is needed with pay.
- I have been contacted in the middle of the night at times to make weird paintings sometimes. Unless its not an obscene portrayal or breaking the laws I do it for them gladly. There was this request several years ago from a person who lost love and wanted to win it back. He and his now crush only had a silent relationship on Facebook where they only communicated through pictures for whatever cultural limitations they had between them. He wanted me to make him a few series of paintings and this whole plan was so emotionally attached to him that after he met me, he trusted my art enough (that I had not yet created for him) He paid his dollars upfront across the table.
- There was an SOS type call one evening one among many i can list below. He was a salesman who was entrusted by his boss to get his daughter’s portrait painted as a surprise gift for her birthday. He was so desperate for his promotion he said he depended on this portrait and he gladly transferred me a 100% advance.
- Talking about SOS calls here is another one she wanted to impress her Ex fiancé who blocked her off even on whatsapp and wanted to win him back by doing a portrait and gifting him. She was so broken when she contacted me I did not feel like charging her anything. But she insisted as it was a personal cause for her she wanted to pay for the gift that she believed would make things fall in place for her.
- Then there was a request from someone to do an oil painting in a hurry of a beautiful lady his wife. I had to hand over even before it dried. He was in that of a mighty hurry. After that I had 3 requests from him. He seemed to be wanting to impress one girl friend after another with gifting them with portraits to impress.
- I made a spiritual painting for my maternal uncle on one of my summer vacations to that tropical Island. The next year when I visited them, my painting was blessed by their priest and was carefully given a place next to a miraculous deity’s statue that the village folk came to worship or seek blessings before an important event they considered more auspicious if they prayed in that tiny prayer room. And I was pleasantly surprised that my painting was given a place in that room where 1000s worshipped by praying to the deity on my painting as well.
- I can go on with a lot of instances where artists are needed just that we need to be visible always to be wanted by our targets and fans.